Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Read This Book, Then Hug Your Mom Unless You Are a Robot Without Emotions

I worked a bit this past weekend, including the Sunday night at 2 a.m. shift, which makes me sound more like a bartender than the Impressive Advertising Professional I want you to think I am.  Either way, I got to head out early on Monday to rest up.  I think in my boss’ mind that meant taking a nap, but to me it meant drinking a caffeinated drink and reading in the yard.  And then napping.
Bookworm & Andrew on a ferry to a Pirates game.
Date: approximately one million years ago.
I grabbed a book of Andrew’s from the shelf with an inscription from his Mom in 2006.  At first I thought One More Day by Mitch Albom was an odd selection for my mother-in-law to gift, knowing that Andrew probably wouldn’t be game for a sentimental read from the author best known for Tuesdays with Morrie.  But after I read it, I realized that it was a really thoughtful choice, since it is about a man who briefly played for the Pittsburgh Pirates (Andrew’s favorite team) and his relationship with his mother.  Of course Andrew hasn’t come to realize this yet, but he has only had the book for five years.  Get off his back!
I didn’t want to like this book for some reason – I wanted to think it was cheesy and Nicolas Sparks-y, but it wasn’t.  But it actually made me feel sentimental and want to give my Mom a hug, which I think is exactly what Albom was going for.  Damn you for playing with my emotions, Mitch!  It’s a short book that could be read in one long afternoon on the beach. 
(Side note: Why do people always turn books into beach reads?  I read plenty of other places!  Like in my garden, or in First Class on a plane, or in Economy Class on a plane, or while driving.)
Bookworm rating: 3.5 beach balls out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment