Friday, April 22, 2011

Sorry Readers, This One Is Actually About Books

Here are the things I say to people on planes:

- excuse me
- sorry
- stop clipping your fingernails
- that's a great book

Yes, this anti-social travel worn bookworm will risk reaching out to a fellow traveller if a book title is irresistible. Such an occurrence happened on my London > Chicago flight in the Economy Plus (inward groan) cabin.

We were fortunate to have an empty seat between us, and it was here amongst the extra shrink wrapped bedding that I spotted the book. (Oh how you spoil me Economy Plus, with your inches of extra leg room and your Everyman food trays). My travel companion is slowly reading The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom, a book I haven't thought about in 10 years, but highly recommend. Why she was watching Gulliver's Travels rather than finishing this book, I will never know.

Close friends and family know that I love World War II era memoirs, and this is a great one. It was originally recommended to me by At Least One Time Reader So He Says Dr. Paul Patton. Dr. Patton is the father of my good friend Jessica and is best known for packing a whole green pepper in her lunch bag (and other similar high school lunch curiosities) and performing my wedding service in June '09. He is a Christian pastor, and this book tells the true story of a Christian woman who saved Jews, and later brought her faith to a concentration camp. Although I read it a decade ago, I will always remember Corrie thanking God for fleas... You will have to read the book to find out why!

Hard to close with a typical snide remark with that story in mind. Though being in Economy Plus I should be full of them.

3 comments:

  1. When I was in middle school we had a youth group at church that watching the movie "The Hiding Place" every so often. As soon as I realized it was a book, I had to read it. It was so nice to read something about WWII that had something positive to focus on.

    A whole green pepper, eh? Sounds like something my dad would have done if he had been in charge of packing lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there was a movie! But a wonderful story in any form I am sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT book - thanks for the reminder! I don't think I've thought about it in 10 years either. By the way, some friends of mine in Cleveland and I are talking about starting a book club and I will be looking to you for ideas.

    Also, my favorite lunch time curiosity was a blueberry bagel with cream cheese and ham - what?!

    ReplyDelete