Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pineapple Martini Acts as Enthusiastic Welcome for Fetus

My undoing
Loyal Readers will remember that I had a trip planned to Chicago for my Dearest Friend Kate's Baby Shower.  It happened, and it was great.  There were two showers and lots of fun conversation and catching up with her family, which is really my family too.  I am tempted to recap my favorite parts of the weekend, but am attempting to discipline myself and not stray too far away from the topic of this blog – books.  (And based on the number of pineapple martinis I had to celebrate the impending birth, it seems that I could use considerable practice in the area of self-discipline.)
One of the shower invitations suggested that attendees bring a book instead of a card, but this was a crew that did not need an excuse to give books which is probably why I like them.  (That and their talents with the pineapple.)  I wish I could remember the names of all the great books she got, but one stand out was It’s Not a Box by Antoinette Portis.  It was an adorable little book that encouraged kids to use their imagination – a box can be a building on fire or a city bus or a… you get the point. 
I love the idea of getting to enjoy my favorite books again with my future Baby Bookworms.  Here are the ones I am most excited about:
·         Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White – I love this book and the movie is great too.
·         The entire series of Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.  That red head always made me laugh and cry.  My two favorite emotions in terms of reading.  Also a great movie.
·         The entire series of Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  That stuff never gets old.  Spoiler Alert:  I can’t stop thinking about when Laura’s sister What’s-Her-Face goes blind.  And I haven’t read it since the second grade.
·         The Grinch Who Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss.  This is the doctor at his finest in my mind.  I love the food eaten in Whoville at Christmastime. 
I could write this list forever, and since I am in airport mode I am tempted to do just that.  But my new resolution to be self disciplined requires that my blogs be short and sweet.  Short and sarcastic might be more achievable.
One of my gifts to Kate.  Her husband's response: "One can never be over dressed."

No comments:

Post a Comment