Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Straight Shooting Bookworm Avoids Lame But Tempting Parallel

On my already infamous First Class flight, I finished Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett.  It was an excellent read, as Follett’s books pretty much always are.  A suspenseful page turner with no dull moments or wasted words – much like my trip to London.
I was lucky to have several hours on Sunday to walk around the city and enjoy the most gorgeous day ever.  I left rainy Virginia for sunny and mild London – not sure what weather these blokes are always whining about.  But inevitably the glamorous international business trip also has its downside – 5 pm EST meetings are at 10 pm London local time.  And by then you sure to have had a stout or two, right?  Unless your boss is reading your blog, the answer is yes.
I’d like to make a parallel between my mixing business with pleasure in the UK with Follett’s dramatic novel, but I’m not sure that any part of juggling conference calls and boutique browsing aligns with hunting a notorious German spy across the English countryside.  None of my client meetings were quite that dramatic, but it would have been bloody convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment