Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Profound Wisdom & Nail Biting

This week I read Maya Angelou’s Letter to My Daughter. Angelou is very wise, and I liked the advice she gave when tied to her personal experience.  Based on her writing style, I can say with confidence that if she had a blog (or maybe she does?) it would not have grammatical errors.  Or use contractions.
Angelou does not have a daughter, but considers all of us her sisters or something like that.  Basically, she just has the memory of an elephant and most of us could learn a thing or two from her life.
As my Mom’s daughter, I can recount some of the advice she has given me here, none of which overlaps with Angelou’s so it won’t spoil the book for you.  My Mom’s advice has included (but is not limited to):
·         Stop biting your nails.  Right now.
·         Don’t wait until you need a dress to buy a dress.  (This has been proven true time and again.)
·         Always have girlfriends.
·         Seriously, get your fingers out of your mouth.
·         Black and blue do not go together and make you look like a bruise.
·         Get a bra that fits. 
·         Maybe getting a manicure would help you stop?
Finally, I’d like to offer some advice to the daughter I don’t have:
·         Read my blog often for sparkling bits of wisdom.
·         If you enjoy biting your nails, I say go for it.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget that "running will ruin your figure"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to pick up a copy of her book, because I certainly could use some extra wisdom. :) Your mom's advice was great!

    ReplyDelete