Thursday, March 17, 2011

Predictably, an Irish Themed Posting on St. Patrick’s Day

My maiden name is Donahue, which I am pretty sure is Gaelic for “drunk,” so I’d like to celebrate my Irish heritage by recommending a few of my favorite Irish books and authors.
Oh how I love love loved Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt.  It has three characteristics which almost always cause me to rave:  1. True Story 2. Made Me Cry and 3. Inspirational.  I read the sequel ‘Tis, which was also good, but not as wonderful as the first, which took place in Ireland before the family emigrated.  I have not read his third book Teacher Man because I think McCourt was simply milking it at this point.  Plus, I already know some teachers, so I think I am good on that front.
In college, I went through a major Maeve Binchy phase, who is best known for Circle of Friends.  (I actually haven’t read that one since I have seen the movie.  As a rule, I don’t like to read books when I already know what is going to happen.  Great movie, though.)  I always enjoy her books, and the simple but sweet way they are written.  But it must be asked – what were her parents were thinking when they named her?  “Maeve Binchy” does not sound like a person’s name.  It is just a weird non-sensical sound.  Don’t hold it against her though.  Do yourself a favor and read Nights of Rain and Stars or one of her other sweet novels.  A perfect beach read for ladies.
Round Ireland with a Fridge was written by British comedian Tony Hawks and is the funniest book I have ever read.  I’m usually dubious of books that promise you will “laugh out loud” but this one certainly delivers.  It was given to me as a gift by at-least-one-time-blog-reader Jed, and I have lent it out and gifted it to others many times since.  Another perfect beach read for ladies and gentlemen.
Other big time Irish authors include: James Joyce, Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw and Bram Stoker.  I bet those guys would just get hammered on St. Patrick’s Day.  Or as they might have said it, “Donahued.”

No comments:

Post a Comment