Saturday, March 26, 2011

Slow Reading Blogger Desperate for Content – Friend Comes Through

Shockingly, a friend of mine admitted to reading my blog this week.  As if that in itself wasn’t surprising enough, you’ll be interested to know that this friend is the absolute worst reader I know.  Meaning, I once tried to lend her a book and she asked me if there was a movie instead.  (Insert a snobby “humph” or eye roll – readers’ choice.)  Since she specifically asked me not to blog about this, I will grant her the gift of anonymity.  As if being mentioned on this blog wasn’t inherently anonymous.
I have never understood non-readers.  I always think that I can change them, and never fail to lend them a book that they “won’t be able to put down.”  More likely, they never even pick it up (or return it).  To her credit, my friend that is the subject of this blog didn’t steal anything.  I tried to hand her a book and she quickly raised both hands up and said “no way.”  I’m pretty sure she would have let the book drop to the floor if I had tried to hand it to her.  Friend, you can’t catch anything from books – don’t be afraid.
If any non-readers happen to read this blog, I’d like to recommend two of my favorites if you’d like to get into the wonderful world of reading:  The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls and/or The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  These are two of my favorites, and are both quick (and ultimately) feel-good reads. 
My friend however, is more likely to appreciate a cookbook recommendation.  I prefer the “movie” version of that book – just eating the meal.

3 comments:

  1. Suggest "Table of Contents" to your friend. It's both a cookbook and has stories from all kinds of authors. Maybe one of them might just intrigue her enough to pick up a book.

    ReplyDelete