Friday, March 18, 2011

Reading vs. TV: The Epic Battle for my Brain Continues

My poor husband had to work until 2 a.m. on Monday – not a great way to start the week.  With just World’s Best Dog Norman and me at home, things tend to be a little…. Quieter.
Andrew is a TV lover.  He loves TV so much that when he reads his one, thick, dry historical book per year, he still has the TV on and muted.  Due to this influence, I watch more TV than I used to.  I was never one of those annoyingly proud people who brag about not even owning a TV (I mean hey, I work in advertising).  But, I watched a lot less.
On Monday, with no husband home, the TV was not turned on.  World’s Best Dog Norman and I listened to music; he licked himself and I read the better part of Kick Me by Paul Feig.  (Another loaner from occasional blog reader, and now twice mentioned Jenny.)  Kick Me is a quick read, which is a good thing because I can’t possibly read enough to keep up with these daily postings.  (Readers, I will try not to fail you but I can quickly see this devolving into “today I read the nutritional contents of a bottle of ranch dressing, and you would not believe…” Based on both my reading integrity and complete disinterest in exercise and nutrition, I will avoid this scenario at all costs.)
Back to the point at hand.  Kick Me is hilarious, and you should read it.  It’s a true story, written by the creator of Freaks and Geeks, a show I have never seen but it sounded good.  I get the impression that Freaks and Geeks is much like my beloved Arrested Development – it’s fun to rave that it was the greatest show ever, and that people are morons for letting it go off the air.  But maybe it went off the air because people were reading. 
Just kidding, they were watching American Idol.  Hopefully on mute.

No comments:

Post a Comment