Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bookworm Outsmarted By West Coast Baby


I am in Chapel Hill, NC visiting my Baby Friend Asher.  As many of you know, he hails from San Francisco, but since he was on my coast I drove three hours down to see him while enjoying Caleb’s Crossing by Geraldine Brooks.

This was a good book, but it dragged at times – particularly at the beginning and at the end.  This was not as good as her books Year of Wonders (awesome) or People of the Book (above average).  But it was an interesting story about one of the first few Native Americans to attend Harvard in the late 1600’s.  If given the choice, I would rather attend Indiana University in the early 2000’s when their basketball team goes to the National Championship. 

I checked out this audio book from the library online.  After several attempts and 90 minutes of pure fury, I figured out how to do it.  Here’s a tip:  just read the directions.  Trust me, I know there is nothing worse than reading a few simple steps and then following them, but please believe me here.

This, I might add is the polar opposite advice I would give you for keeping Baby Asher alive for a few hours.  His Mom and Blog Reader Kate gave me all kinds of Choose Your Own Adventure-type scenarios with potential solutions, but when it came down to it, I just let Baby Asher do whatever the hell he wanted.  Sure, let’s chew on a bag of toiletries!  Now let’s dump peas on Allison’s skirt!  If his (wise) parents had left their credit card, we would have been in real trouble.

Inner baby monologue:
"This chick will do whatever I want.
I said PEARS not SWEET POTATOES.
Ugh, grown-ups"

6 comments:

  1. It looks like you kept Asher happy! I found your blog via Cathy's feature - Scene of the Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did (jut barely!) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here, and staying, also because of Cathy's Scene of the Blog feature. Baby Asher is just too sweet to deny anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right on that one Barbara! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just catching up on your blog during Baby Asher's nap, and I am dying laughing over here. Keep on bloggin' Bookworm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Unknown! Keep reading and give Baby Asher a kiss from me.

    ReplyDelete