Tuesday, April 10, 2012

One Might Ask “Who’s the Boss?” But That Has Been Taken


Since yesterday was a particularly light workday, Blog Reader and Also My Boss Liz and I decided to knock off early and enjoy the beautiful weather.  And what better way to do so than going to the stuffy upstairs of a used bookstore followed by champagne cocktails?

Liz is my Boss, but I think we can all agree I am the Puppet Master.  I can, on occasion, be a bit “bossy” but most people don’t listen to my logical and gently issued directives.  Luckily Liz does, and I pushed her into purchasing the following books:

  • Year of Wonders  by Geraldine Brooks -  A great book.  Liz asked what it was about, and as soon as I said the word “plague” she was in.  Perhaps books on The Plague is the WW2 memoir for some?  You can never figure out people from Texas, so don’t even try.  And whatever you do do not bring up Mexican food.
  • The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri – A classic favorite from my Books About People From India Phase, which was followed by a broader Books From Asia Phase.   A great time in my mid-20s, and much clearer to me than than say, my 25th birthday.  Still a lot of question marks surrounding that evening.
  • I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb – A bizarre but awesome read, particularly when paired with Guster’s Lost & Gone Forever album on repeat.  The two are inseparable in my mind.
  • The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon – Okay, the one she chose herself, but this is a Win for me since I haven’t read it and will get to borrow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment