Friday, April 20, 2012

Octogenarians Determine Bookworm Fashion Choices


Anyone who knows me knows I have the best grandparents.  And not in a World’s Best Granddad Coffee Mug kind of way.  In a My-Grandddad-Is-Spending-His-87th-Birthday-in-Botswana kind of way.   These guys love to travel and took my brother and me to all 50 states before I turned 18.  They are smart and interesting and, well… my granddad can beat up your granddad.  That’s all there is to it.

My grandparents have a knack for choosing the perfect gift.  I can promise you that my granddad has a better eye for selecting a pair of pants that fit me than I do.  It is uncanny that every Christmas they can pick out a head to toe outfit (you bet those socks match!) that fits perfectly.  And guess what?  They are Bookworms, too.

This past weekend, when not changing the explosive diarrhea diapers of a young friend, I finished A Train in Winter by Caroline Moorehead.   This was a Christmas gift from my grandparents, a book that sold out so fast in Williamsburg they had to order a copy of this (surprise!) World War II biographical story. 

My granddad read it before I did and warned me it started off a bit slow.  He was right, though my main criticism of the book was the fact that there were so many women’s stories woven in that I couldn’t keep track of them all.  They were all members of the French Resistance and incredibly brave, but I don’t feel like I got to know any of the 230 women in the book since for the most part I couldn’t follow who was who from start to finish.

This was exactly the kind of book I would have ordered for myself, and I love receiving books as gifts, so this was a win-win.  I’m sure my grandparents are counting the days until the end of their Africa-And-Oh-Yeah-Let’s-Swing-By-Madrid-Trip so they can read this critique.

Proud Matriarch and Patriarch look on
at family antics featuring bottle of Dom Perignon.

No comments:

Post a Comment