Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Favorite Hobbies Intersect: Reading and Making Fun of Phil

Readers, you may have noticed a recent pattern in my postings, which consists of pandering individually to friends to encourage their readership.  This is a lengthy, short sighted process that I am still continuing to hammer into this blog regardless of effectiveness.  One such Proclaimed Loyal Reader is my friend Erin.
Erin has audaciously claimed that my blog is “her new Facebook.”  That’s right, she cancelled her Facebook account and is instead fueling that extra time each day into reading this blog.  Then she pretty much demanded that I blog about her, which I am doing now.
Erin and her husband Phil are readers, so I like them.  They have recommended a few books to me over the years, and here is how I feel about them:
·         The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  Phil loves this book, but I am kind of annoyed by it.  I wanted more information about why the world was in such a state, and I thought the ending was lazy.  Kind of harsh, but honesty is important when aiming to overtake Facebook.
·         Mystic River  by Dennis Lehane. I never saw the movie, so I was excited to read this knowing nothing about it except for the fact it was good.  It was indeed good – nope, it was great actually, proving that Erin is a better book suggester than her husband for those like me who are keeping score.
·         Crazy for the Storm by Norman Ollestad.  just read this one, so this was an easy bullet point to write.
·         The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I just ordered this on half.com, so it will make it onto this blog soon.  (Blatant attempt to beg Erin to keep reading this, however criticizing Phil in the first two bullet points was probably a more effective technique.)
I am not going to make an overarching comment about this couple’s book taste, since I am still working on a study/critique of their recommendations which has been fun so far.  But you know what is even more fun than reading good books recommended by friends? Beating Phil at things. With no relevant transition whatsoever, I am including Officially For The Record in this blog the fact that I am better than him at Cornhole, Ladder Golf and video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment