Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pretty Embarrassing Display of Author Fawning Here


Let me just say that there is no way that Ken Follett was as excited as me for Winter of the World to come out – the second book in his century trilogy.  (The first book is the wonderful Fall of Giants which has been sitting on Blog Readers Kristen and Jed’s bookshelf for over a year.  They even moved houses, and moved the book with them.  Multiple bookshelves, still unopened.  Sheesh.)  I have been looking forward to this past September for longer than I care to admit and, even more shocking for loyal blog readers - I didn’t even dread flying across the country on Delta this week.  That’s right.  I love Ken Follett more than I hate (hate, hate) flying Delta Airlines.

So, that’s kind of a lot of hype.  But, when you are a literary genius your books deserve and live up to the hype.  As always, the story was exciting, suspenseful, interesting and fast-moving.  I devoured 940 pages in a week and a half – during which time I had a four day mini-vacation in San Francisco with my college buddy and Not Consistent Blog Reader Kate.  Excessive photo postings below.

And now, the difficult period of waiting begins for book #3.  How will Follett wrap up a 100-year story of 5 families from around the world?  Hopefully with less gushing and less italics than this blog post.
Even foggy San Fran is my happy place.

Half Moon Bay, CA.
Most notably known as the site of my first pre-natal massage.


Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl.
Please do not be offended by the non-alcoholic beer.


Baby Friend Asher and owner of most kissable cheeks in history.


Asher is a swing enthusiast.
Less enthusiastic about naps, vegetables.

8 comments:

  1. The first one is on my to read list. I better get cracking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm done with book one! Awesome!! Too bad the next one is $20! Being a fast reader makes this an expensive hobby!!! On to book 2, then to find a part time job to support my book habit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew just started book 2 last night - I wonder if you could get it at the library? But I understand the need to get it immediately! So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finished book 2. Complete awesomeness. Thank you for the recommendation!! Totally worth $20! Now, how quickly can be write the last 900 pages?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you know how I feel! If you aren't burnt out on Follett, Pillars of the Earth and the sequel, World Without End are both great too. I can lend you the second book, I have no idea what happened to my copy of the first...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll add those to the list. Reading 19th wife now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have great taste in books :)

    ReplyDelete