Wednesday, October 31, 2012

More of a Bookworm Than, Say, Military Strategist For Example


In my world, Frankenstorm translated into a 2.5 hour nap cuddled up with World’s Best Dog Norman, eating all of the cheese in my fridge and reading a terrifying Holocaust memoir.  I feel badly for those who didn’t have what could be called The Best Day Ever.  I am also going to assume that my blog hit numbers have been affected by power outages along the east coast.  Surely it is not the book-related content, snarky commentary and storm survival bragging.

My friend Amazon recommended The Seamstress by Sara Tuvel Bernstein with Louise Loots Thornton and Marlene Bernstein Samuels.  This remarkable story of survival was an obvious pick for one of my closest book friends to select, almost to the point of redundancy.  At this point, I have read so many Holocaust biographies that I may need to hit the brakes for awhile.  This one is excellent, but the horrible stories are starting to run together for me. 

Despite having read a similar story many times, World War II was put in new perspective for me on Sunday aka The Dorkiest Day of My Life (and there are a lot of contenders for the title).  For 8 hours I played the board game Axis and Allies.  The game starts in 1942, and 5 of us each got a country through random drawing.  I was the USA and sad to say that my economic prowess did not overcome my horrible military strategy and I was completely dominated by the Axis powers.  My loser friends in the UK and Russia did little to assist.  In hindsight, I think my fairly singular focus on cake did not help things.  Let’s all be glad Sometimes Blog Reader Pete wasn’t born in Germany two generations ago – we’d be in trouble.  

No comments:

Post a Comment