Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Paperbook Bookworm’s #1 Friend and Most-of-the-Time Reader Reads a Book


I have often tried to coerce my friends into writing Guest Posts for this blog.  Most of the time they say “what blog?”  One time, I was sort of successful.  But #1 Reader Katherine (who, according to her self-written headline above still only reads “most” of the time) actually did it!  Below is her wonderful contribution to the blog that she sometimes reads.  I have never read any of the books she references, but am just trusting that they are real.  The fact-checking budget on this blog is quite low.

I’m not much of a reader. I tell myself it’s because I get too emotionally involved with whatever I am reading or I am just lazy and there is lots of sleeping to be done.

Anyway on a flight back from Miami I found The Marines of Autumn by James Brady in my seat pocket. (My seat pocket. My book. Don't judge.) I didn't know much about the Korean War except that my boyfriend’s dad was an MP there and that a girl I went to middle school with lost her father “in Korea” so I figured I’d brush up on it. It seemed practical and 13D looked like a talker.

I really liked this book. It was a quick read and what I loved about it most is that it gave historical facts woven between an emotional story. It reminded me of Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King and The Lost City of Z by David Grann in that way.

All three books left me with intense dreams of either being cold, thirsty or lost respectively…So yeah, I am going to go with “too emotionally involved” over “lazy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment