Friday, July 8, 2011

Bookworm Is Happy To Be More Popular Than The Toaster Oven at Home

After Andrew and I walked World’s Best Dog Norman last night – which included a classy stop at the local liquor store for scotch – we came home and had some family reading time.  Andrew is my #1, but in his world, I think TV is his #1, and I hopefully fall in line before the coffeemaker.  (Obviously Norman is excluded in this weird ranking system of people and appliances.)  Even during reading time, Andrew likes to have the TV on mute.  I can understand it in a way when sports are on, like the Tour de France (I think?) that was on last night.  Wanting to glance up at the score makes sense to me.  But I have seen him do it even with a bad movie – he just wants moving pictures happening.  He’s so complex.
But even sports can’t tear him from the awesome book he is reading, Fall of Giants by Ken Follett.  This epic novel is the first in a trilogy.  It was released at Christmas, and I think the next two will conveniently drop at Christmastime this year and next (Santa, take note).  Fall of Giants was the only thing on my Christmas list delivered to my in-laws this year, and I finished it in January before starting this tolerable book blog that now boasts twenty-four followers (Marisa, I know you are reading this and could be lucky 25!).  It was the best book I have read so far this year, though there have been some other close contenders (I’m looking at you, Room).  The series will take place over the period of 100 years, and this first book only got through WWI.  That means the next book will take us through the Depression and WW2.  Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment