Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Rather Obvious Stalling Technique

Chop Suey Tuey bookstore is a place I will shop
despite hating my Mom's American Chop Suey dish as a child. 
That was disgusting, this place is nice.
On Saturday, I went to my favorite used bookstore, Chop Suey Tuey.  To my husband’s surprise, I actually traded in a few books instead of just buying them.  I picked out four from the shelf that just weren’t memorable, so I decided I probably wouldn’t lend them to anyone anyway.  This is a major step for me.
Before heading over there, I called the store for some advice about what kinds of books they’d accept.  It largely depends on what they have in stock, and I appreciated their “No Grisham” rule. (Not that I have anything against his books, I’ve never even read one.  I just thought it was funny.  Book jokes!)
Here is how I shop at a used bookstore.  I don’t think there is anything earth shattering here, but I am buying time while I finish a Big Thick Book I am reading.  (This kind of under selling explains a lot about this blog).
·         Look for authors you know.  This is a great chance to buy older novels by an author you really like.  Bookworm example:  I liked Joe College by Tom Perrotta, who is best known for Election.  So his book Little Children seemed like it was worth the $5.95.  Of the two, I still prefer Joe College.  And Perrotta still prefers not to read this blog.  (He wins.)
·         Classics.  High school / college kids are always looking to unload required reading, and often they are books you’d actually like if no one was requiring you to read it.  Bookworm example:  I have a bunch of these. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, Persuasion by Jane Austen, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, The Color Purple by Alice Walker.  The nice thing about the Bookworm, is that I don’t make you read anything.  I just suggest it.  Doesn’t that make these titles a lot more tempting?
·         Books that everyone is reading.  Book worm example: If you were really late in the game to read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, you’d be insane to pay full price.  Actually, the best way to get that book is to just cruise your friend’s / parent’s bookshelves.  I think more copies were sold than there are people on earth*.  (*Completely made up statistic.)  At one point there were three copies at my house, and I didn’t even love it that much.  I spent the whole time wondering what kind brain could come up with such a tale.
·         Spontaneous purchases.  It’s fun just to wander when you have time, and pick up something just because it looks interesting.  Bookworm example:  The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.  I couldn’t resist a book with a dog cut out in the cover, and it was a total win.  What a great book for the friendly little price of $5.95. 
 But the very best way to pick out books is to read this blog, which has a mobile friendly version for your use during book shopping excursions.  I am a master of the interwebs.  (Translation:  I clicked the button that says “mobile friendly” on Blogger.  But I did it for you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment