Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Age Old Tale of Co-Worker Abuse Comes To Light

Chelsea Handler seems like a difficult boss.  In the new book Lies Chelsea Handler Told Me, which is written by her family, friends and “other victims,” it is pretty clear that she is tortuous in the pranks she plays, but generous as well.  Does that count as buying your friends?  Maybe.  I listened to this as an audio book, which was a good choice since there were chapters told by different people.  But like any book of short stories, some were much better than others.  The chapter from the point of view of her dog Chunk was particularly lackluster for me.
I am too poor to buy my friends, but had the poor man’s version of a Chelsea performance with Blog Follower and Former Co-Worker, Susie.  I worked at a small PR firm in Chicago back in 2005, and managed to get the much smarter and more reliable Susie to do most of my work for me.  I was busy being hungover, making evening plans with friends to induce a hangover and eating sandwiches.  Thus, Susie did most of my workload.  Over the years I have “bought her off” by donating to charity every time she runs a marathon for some cause or another.  Susie is supposedly running these marathons all the damn time, allowing me to feel good about myself for a mere $25 in support of breast cancer awareness, Alzheimer’s, or Yuppie Running Syndrome – whatever is the latest in workout causes. 
I am nowhere near as mean as Chelsea nor as rich as Chelsea.  I don’t know nearly as many words to describe the male anatomy, either.  But I think I enjoy my co-workers – past and present – every bit as much as she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment