Sunday, June 26, 2011

Oddly, a Rather Informative Posting

I am a Bookworm of many interests.  My Twitter profile lists these as books, dresses, dinner, travel and beer.  I’d say that sums me up pretty well.
My favorite form of eating is anything cooked by Bookworm Senior, my Mom.  But when that fails, I like food cooked by anyone else.  In the direst of occasions, I cook for myself.  Such was the case this week on family vacation.
On vacation in the Outer Banks, the family policy is simple.  Everyone cooks one night, and provides music during dinner.  This year, we added a signature drink as well.  I didn’t know this curveball was coming, but fortunately never plan a dinner without thinking through the beverage so I was prepared anyway.  (Phew.)
As for the meal, of course I turned to a book.  This book was given to us by Andrew’s parents the year they gave us a grill.  We’ve had great luck with Better Homes and Gardens® New Grilling Book.  The meal didn’t kill anybody, so I consider it a great success.  Our meal included:
·         Steak with avocado sauce
·         Asparagus with dill (dill grown in the garden)
·         Caprese salad (arugula and basil grown in the garden)
·         Italian bread (purchased – don’t judge me)
·         Firefly Lemon (add water and ice – boom!  Family giggles ensue)
Then my Mom stole the show by making her pineapple margarita cupcakes.  Interestingly, cooking skills are not hereditary.
Here is how to make the avocado sauce:
Ingredients
8 ounces fresh tomatillos, husked and quartered (6 medium)
2 ounces cream cheese
1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and cut up
¼ cup green onions (2)
½ teaspoon salt
In a small saucepan, bring tomatillos and water to boiling; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until tomatillos are soft.  Drain.  Stir in cream cheese until melted; cool mixture slightly.  In a food processor or blender combine tomatillo mixture, avocado, sliced green onions and salt.  Cover and blend until smooth.  Transfer sauce into serving bowl. 
Recipe says it makes 4-6 servings, but I easily served 10 people and had leftovers.  It’s plenty of sauce since it is ultra-flavorful.  Enjoy!

1 comment: