Monday, May 9, 2011

Bookworm Writes Thesis; Spends Upwards of 10 Minutes

At a party on Saturday Night, Friend and At Least One Time Reader But Maybe More? Kristen was telling me that she is reading The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe.  I was immediately jealous.  I wish I was reading that book right now, but I have already read it so I don’t have the pleasure of enjoying it for the first time.  This is an inefficient and poorly written way of saying that I love that book.
Tom Wolfe writes two kinds of books – those I can stand (and by “stand” I mean “love”), and those I cannot stand.  Here is how they break down:
·         The Bonfire of the Vanities – excellent
·         A Man in Full – boy was that great
·         I Am Charlotte Simmons – keep ‘em coming, Tom
·         The Right Stuff – wait, really? 
·         Hooking Up – terrible
I’d like to think that this is one of the more comprehensive reviews of famed writer (and Richmond native) Tom Wolfe’s work.  I expect that the New York Times will be clamoring to get me on staff as a reviewer after this post, or that UVA will be eager to give me an honorary doctorate after seeing such an insightful thesis.  Both of these items can be offered via blog comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment