Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Free Stuff Decreases Likelihood of Non-Existent Employee of the Year Award


I love living in Richmond, but one thing that is significantly worse than my life in Chicago is the morning radio choices.  True, I only listen to about 12 minutes of radio during the best commute in the world, but the morning chatter here is so bad that sometimes I actually think about the workday ahead instead.  This is what we call Hitting Rock Bottom.

Podcasts have been my savior.  I recently came across PRI: Selected Shorts, which are short stories read by an actor on stage.  Meaning they are read as dramatic monologues versus the talent performing all of the crazy character voices you often get from an audiobook.  The best part is they are free.  What a wonderful distraction from doing what I am paid to do.

This morning I finished my first podcast, which included two stories: The Briefcase by Rebecca Makkai and performed by Victor Garber and Diem Perdidi by Julie Otsuka read by Jayne Atkinson.  Both of these stories would likely have suffered withering reviews from the Bookworm if I had read them, but since they were performed so beautifully and hit my price point, I am 100% on board. 

Not a bad way to spend 12 minutes twice a day. There is also the added bonus of being able to feel my face when I arrive at work, unlike 8 months/year in Chicago.  Take that, cool urban friends with constantly changing hip restaurant choices!

1 comment: