Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dear Mr. Claus, Please Read This Entry


Yesterday we drove the 380 miles from Richmond to Pittsburgh, with two major factors making the ride tolerable: 1. A Chicken Biscuit from Chik-fil-a 2. Hornet Flight by Ken Follett.  Now I am not going to play favorites between the two, but let’s just say that one lasted a heck of a lot longer.

Hornet Flight is a spy-thriller book that was entertaining enough to take our minds off the dreary drive, and even enough so to make us miss a critical turn, which added a painful 40 minutes to the drive.  I won’t blame Follett for this directly but I’m sure we are all thinking it. 

Andrew and I always turn to Follett as an author we can agree on for long drives, but to be frank this wasn’t one of his best.  It definitely did the job (see reference to missing critical turn above) but there were long passages about the detail of aviation engineering that I could have done without.  But his new book Winter of the World which is coming out at Christmas is still at the top of my list for Santa, if he is reading this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment