Friday, September 23, 2011

Humidity Poses Threat to Hair; AIDS Causes Threat to Humankind

I was very moved by My Own Country: A Doctor’s Story by Abraham Verghese.  It took me awhile to read because it was at times tough to take in – oh, and we started watching the full series of Arrested Development, the greatest show of all time, again from the beginning.  So I would transition from reading about the experiences of a doctor treating AIDS in rural Tennessee to laughing at jokes I have quoted 100 times.  That’s how I roll.

Ok, back to the book.  This was my second doctor book in a row but they couldn’t be more different, mainly because this was a true story and much more serious in nature.  Dr. Verghese wrote of his experience treating AIDS patients, often in graphic detail.  Did you know your toe can literally fall of from AIDS?  Seriously, that disease does not mess around.  I thought the book was fascinating, and now can see why it’s always on the front table at Barnes & Noble, even though it was written in 1994.  I can’t stop thinking about it, though I sort of wish I could delete the toe thing from my brain.

I also can’t stop thinking about the fact that my flight is going to be over an hour late, and somehow we have to navigate from Cincinnati to a farm in Indiana in the rain while managing not to show up looking like complete scrubs later this evening.  It’s hard to worry about both my hair in the humidity as well as the AIDS epidemic, but such is the life I lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment