Monday, September 5, 2011

Absolute Worst Parenting Ever Is Documented & Used As In-Flight Entertainment

I finished Shot in the Heart by Mikal Gilmore right as I was pulling into the Richmond airport.  A book blogger couldn’t have timed it more perfectly.  I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir, which I read the bulk of while waving away offers of champagne in Business Class back from Prague. (Ok in reality I drank one Mimosa and then accepted all offers of bottled water.  Bookworms need to stay hydrated at 30,000 feet.)
Parenthood sure doesn’t look easy, as I witnessed Andrew’s cousins doing the Elmo Slide for the 3,000th time in the Outer Banks this summer (a song that I had in my head for a solid week afterward.  That tune is catchy!)  But Gilmore’s parents pretty much couldn’t have done a worse job.  Hence, they raised a murderer who single handedly brought back the death penalty to the US in 1977.  The book was a steady stream of Oh-Crap-Don’t-Do-That type parenting tips.  They really screwed their four boys up royally.  Needless to say it added up to a heartbreaking but fascinating story, though not as inspiring as my favorite Crap Parenting Memoir, The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls.
Now that I am back to my real life, my biggest and least favorite reading task awaits – the mail.  I will do my audience a favor and not blog about the exciting Walgreens Rewards Offers in this most special reading pile.


No comments:

Post a Comment