Monday, August 22, 2011

A Reading Olympics Of Sorts

Andrew and I spent this weekend in Virginia Beach visiting my family with our friends.  Unbeknownst to them, it was a Reading Olympics.

Most of the crew reading on the beach,
while Jim mans the more important task of
Championship Sandwich Making back at the house.
Event #1: Reading at the beach.  In this event, morning beers were key for ultimate relaxation.  Occasional Blog Reader Erin started off behind in this event since she forgot her sunglasses, but Teammate, Blog Reader and Stepdad Jim lent a pair in a demonstration of team spirit.
Event #2: Reading on the porch.  In this brief event, a rotating group of teammates participated, while others showered or prepared dinner, respectively.
Event #3:  In the trickiest event, participants read on a bobbing fishing boat while maintaining slight hangovers. 
So much reading!  And what were these books you ask?
Mom: The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer.  An excellent recommend from this Bookworm. 
Andrew: A Wilbur Smith book – another in the Courtenay family series, which starts with As the Lion Feeds.
Erin: Popular Bookworm recommend Lost in Planet China by J. Maarten Troost.
Dave: Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, which I haven’t read but am dubious about due to a subject matter I have very little interest in. 
Jim:  I don’t know what he was reading but the cover was black with neon orange letters.  Based on the cover font alone I am guessing this is a book I will not read, but to each his own.  
And the winner of the reading Olympics is… well, me.  Since no one else knew they were participating and this is my blog.  Go USA!

The winner's seat. 
Somehow there was time to both win the
Reading Olympics and document.




No comments:

Post a Comment