Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bookworm Claims To Be At A Loss For Words – Is Never The Case

Jim the Boy by Tony Earley is a book.  That’s pretty much all I have to say about it, but I write a book blog so I feel the need to push myself to say more.  So… it’s about a boy named Jim. 
And there you have it.  This is a sweet little short book, possibly written for kids, that I am totally baffled by.  Baffled because it was lent to me by Blog Reader & Fuzzy Memories Guy Jed, who I can’t see reading this book.  Also baffled because the story had the elements of a good book, but I got the sense the author didn’t feel like developing them.   For example, Earley built up this Evil Grandfather Character…. and then Jim sees him through a window.  That’s it.  Then a friend of Jim’s gets polio, so he goes to visit him.  During the visit, his friend falls asleep and Jim leaves.  That’s it. 
I kept waiting for more story to come, or for there to be some big revelation at the end like Jim is blind and you have a good cry over it, but it never came and Jim can see just fine.  In which case I probably would tell Jim to skip this book and borrow one from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment