Thursday, July 19, 2012

Airport Complaining Narrowly Avoided; Passive Aggressive Stance Taken


Whenever I think of Gypsy Boy: My Life in the Secret World of the Romany Gypsies I think of the abysmal service of US Airways, a topic I am trying to consciously avoid on this blog.  Plus, that isn’t really fair to autobiographer Mikey Walsh who went through a lot to escape his past, learn to read and write and then go on to draft a book.  So I will try to separate my miserable travel to and from Philadelphia this week from the time I spent enjoying this sad story.  Honestly this book and the hopes of a Philly cheesesteak with Loyal Blog Reader Kiley are the only things that got me through.

I have been curious about Gypsies ever since my mom dragged into the underworld that is My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding on the hit-producing network TLC.  I think the white trash folks featured on that show are the Irish Gypsies, who apparently copied the Romany Gypsy lifestyle of being a “traveller.”  This translates into living in trailers, rejecting education, and having the absolute worst and trashiest taste in everything.  Who wouldn’t want to copy that lifestyle?

Poor Walsh was a misfit for this crew from the start, and though he was close to his Mom, I think she should have protected him more than she did.  This story was sad, but ultimately inspiring since Walsh escaped and managed to live his life the way he wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment