Friday, July 13, 2012

Bookworm Raves & Continues To Love List Making


The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom is an awesome, awesome book and easily one of the best I have read in a long time.  In fact I am putting it on the top of my largely ignored Current Favorites List here on the right of your screen.  Yes, it was worth spending several seconds remembering how to do that.

Why is this book so awesome, no one asks?  I’ll tell you:

1.  You get into it immediately.  Within 10 pages I knew I loved this book and was going to race through it to lend it to my Mom, since I will see her in a couple of weeks.
2.  Super sad, complex, fast moving, historical story.  It is fictional, but felt so real.
3. The story takes place in Virginia, including several chapters in Williamsburg.  I knew some of the streets and historical sites referenced very well, though my favorite place remains The Cheese Shop, which probably wasn’t there in 1791.

This is the kind of book that makes me love being a reader.  Crappy television like Andrew’s favorite Gardening By The Yard has the same effect but with more eye rolling.

4 comments:

  1. So I just finished this book. I LOVED it. I may or may not have neglected my job, family, and sleep to read it in 3 days. Thanks for the awesome recommendation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you loved it as much as me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize I'm super behind in this comment, but as a loyal blog follower, felt the need to comment: One of the best books ever. Seriously ever. I'm mad at myself for not reading this the second you wrote about it last July. Lesson learned. Amazing, awesome, can't stop thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good lesson, and one I am always trying to teach people. Particularly my husband, daughter and dog who disregard me before I finish most sentences.

    But glad you enjoyed the book! Easily one of my favorites. Thank you for following up.

    ReplyDelete