Friday, June 22, 2012

Life is Awesome; Look for Next Week’s Sequel: Life is Terrible


Here is how a recent Best Case Scenario worked out. 

The day before vacation, my book club selected a light, silly perfect-for-the-beach read as our next book.  (Possibly to try and improve reading performance from last time.)   Luckily, I was able to borrow the book the same day and bring it with me to the Outer Banks, where I am currently vacationing. 

(This is likely to be followed up by a Worst Case Scenario, since I have one-fourth of one squinted eye on my email and can tell that work is falling apart and that next week will be just terrible.  But today is a beach day!)

Star Island by Carl Hiaasen was a great beach read.  Fast paced, silly, mindless, and let’s face it kinda trashy.  I haven’t read any of Hiaasen’s books before, but would happily pick up another at some point.  This is one small step up from watching anything on E! but a notable and important step.  Good pick for a book club full of non-readers!
Doing nothing all day brings out the best in people.
*Note: doing nothing for Andrew is working in the morning and
reading emails throughout the day.

I think there are 19 people in this beach house, but I can't keep track.
Here are some of them, with fancy cocktails.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Star Island but - Hiaasen mindless? Never. Under his silliness lies his passion for Florida. (Perhaps a point for debate at book club?) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, you are right. I repeatedly fall short in the analysis category but certainly laughed along with Hiassen's hijinks. A fun read for sure!

    ReplyDelete