Saturday, February 11, 2012

Blog Has No Impact on Readership


This week I read Mohawk by Richard Russo.  It was a good book.  Unfortunately most of the things I have to say about Russo are meant to be positive but come off as kind of negative.  Such as:
  • Russo is a dependable writer.  That sounds like an implied negative – like the guy you went on a date with was “nice.”  But I mean it as a good thing – his books are always good.  That’s why they win Pulitzer Prizes and stuff. 
  • Russo’s books are an easy read.  Not in a Candace Bushnell way.  (For the record I have read exactly one of her books.  I read it all in one sitting and then afterwards I’m pretty sure I took a hot shower to wash off all the STDs I was sure I had contracted.)  Russo’s characters are approachable and it’s easy to get to know them and sympathize with them.
  • Russo is the perfect writer to look for in a used bookstore.  Meaning, he’s such a bestseller that you can always find his books at the used shop, even the snobby ones who don’t carry The DiVinci Code.
  • Jed likes his books.

So Non Blog Reader Richard Russo, please don’t take offense by this review.  My mom will still read your books and Top Reader Katherine will continue to not read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment