Sunday, January 1, 2012

Bookworm the Bodybuilder is Inspired; Cries


It seems appropriate that my first book of 2012 be an inspirational read.  Especially since my new years resolution is to bulk up by lifting a 5 lb weight.  That’s right, 5 lb.  This is a major effort for me since I have noodles where human arms should be.

Anyway, this book (and Tupperware) was on my Christmas list at my in-laws.  My mother-in-law and sister-in-law have both read and raved over The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.  They told me to be prepared with tissues.  This turned out to be good advice.

This book is about a lecture Pausch gave right before he died of pancreatic cancer.  It’s basically a book of advice that he was smart enough to put together in a way that anyone could benefit from, but written for his kids when they are old enough to appreciate it.  The reader gets a great sense of his personality in this short and inspirational book.  He’s a dork by his own admission, but a successful one with a great moral code and work ethic to live by.  I may not share his love of Star Trek but his points are well made and I loved the way his advice was wrapped in personal anecdotes.

This and a chocolate-cherry milkshake were a wonderful way to kick off 2012.  Especially since I probably won’t be able to lift a book or a shake tomorrow with these sore guns. I mean noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment