Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Bookworm Barely Mentions Book She Supposedly (But Really Did) Read


My Old Boss’ Old Boss asked me to read Thirty Rooms to Hide In: Insanity, Addiction, and Rock 'n' Roll in the Shadow of the Mayo Clinic by Luke Longstreet Sullivan.  I don’t like to do what bosses say, so I waited a year.  Look for me on LinkedIn!

Actually, I forgot about it (even though it was in my Virtual To Read Pile on Good Reads) and was reminded when reading UnfinishedThinking, a blog that people actually read by the President of my company.  He is dying, but seems to be the last to know since he was put in hospice in January.  He’s a writer so his blog is legit.

Now that you’ve likely clicked on that link, I’ve lost you – but I will keep going.

Thirty Rooms to Hide In was written by a guy who worked at my company, The Martin Agency, back in the 80s.  I had heard it was funny and after the dual recommendation/request above I bought it without reading anything about the plot.  Too often, the summary gives too much away.

This was a book about a family of 6 boys growing up with an alcoholic father.  The author’s approach was somewhat lighthearted, but the whole thing hit a little close to home for me.  Mom, I’d skip this one if I were you.

Can I just say it made me really, really glad to have a girl?  ONE girl?  I mean, these boys raised 40 rats as pets in a shed.  That is my absolute worst nightmare.  That and listening to bosses.

A reasonable number of family members.
Photo credit: Katie Kraft

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family portrait! Your daughter is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara! I happen to agree with you :)

    ReplyDelete