Monday, October 21, 2013

All of the Good ‘Wild and Crazy Guy’ Headlines Have Been Taken by Actual Journalists


As a student of the theatre (translation: I was a Thespian in high school) (also, please note pretentious “re” spelling of theatre) I can appreciate the dedication and craft that Steve Martin describes went into his stand-up act in his book Born Standing Up.  I shouldn’t have been surprised, since I know how much rehearsal goes into seemingly impromptu performances – both on the stage and in business – but it was still kind of a surprise to learn how studied his comedy was.  Especially for a guy with such a silly sense of humor.

If you are interested in comedy this is a quick, amusing read.  Though some parts are funny because he is describing his act or a bit self-deprecating, it isn’t meant to be a laugh out loud book.  It is a rather frank description of his 18-year journey as a stand-up comedian (and amateur banjo player) that led to him being a “wild and craaaaazy guy!”

And, lady readers especially, this book does not dive into a behind the scenes look at Father of the Bride.  The movie isn’t even mentioned.  So if you read this just be prepared for that.

2 comments:

  1. Theatre may be considered pretentious in the U.S. but to most other English-speaking peoples (Canada, Britain, Australia, and so on) around the world, it's just the way it's spelled. I didn't know we were coming across as pretentious so I might have to reconsider my stand on how much the Internet is going to push my Americanization. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather proud of my worldly, sophisticated spelling! Thanks for reading, Debbie.

      Delete