Thursday, October 10, 2013

One of My Shorter But More Clearly Labeled Rants


Book Friend & Actual Friend Valerie has been looking to win me over with a winning read.  It’s been her personal challenge ever since I politely suggested that instead of lending me a stack of books and saying “I am not big on any of these, but see what you think” that she focus on quality over quantity strategy.  She was receptive to this feedback and lent me The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison.

I can see why she lent me this book, since lots of people are comparing it to Gone Girl.

A RANT

It’s so annoying when there is a big popular book and then everyone compares new books to that book.  As if the logic is “Wish you hadn’t already read Gone Girl?  Well, you have but here is another author doing a worse version of it.”

RANT OVER

A Silent Wife was a quick and easy read.  Perfect for someone who is two beers deep at 10pm on a Tuesday night and has all of their baby food already prepped and ready to go for the next morning.  And also for me, who is often two beers deep but usually does not have the food ready by 10 pm.  It’s not an especially memorable book and the characters are not believable and also unlikeable.  In this case, somehow that wasn’t a total deal breaker and I enjoyed the mental break of reading about revenge murder.  (I did not give anything away there, that comes out in about the second page.)

So, good job and thank you Valerie.  Also, I hate you for being in Spain and having an amazing time while I write this post.  Congratulations on your engagement.

Bookworm Jr. confuses literature with room wrecking.

No comments:

Post a Comment