Monday, November 26, 2012

Bookworm Casually Dismisses Great American Writer; Has Audacity to Use the Term “Fellow Writer”


As everyone enjoys Cyber Monday, I’m sure top of mind for as many as three people is – “what did the Bookworm read over the holiday?  Also, how did she gain that much weight so fast?”  Whoa, let’s ease up on the second question.  There’s a baby in there playing my ribs like a harp – it’s not just mashed potatoes.  But yes, a disturbing amount of mashed potatoes is also involved because I am deeply thankful for carbs.

The first question is more relevant to this blog.  While spending quality time at my in-laws shopping, eating, visiting, snoozing and designated driving I also managed to finish There Will Be Blood by Tom Wolfe.   

I have often raved about Wolfe’s work, but often disliked it too.  (I’m looking at you Hooking Up.)  His latest book – which I bought the week it came out in October – was closer to the “eh” side of the scale.  Parts of it were downright raunchy – disturbingly so – but it was still an interesting story overall. Certainly not a “I’ve read that before.”  But it’s a Big Thick Book so to be worth the time commitment, it’s gotta be pretty damn good and this one just isn’t.  I hate to betray a fellow Richmond writer, but I strive for honesty in this obscure book blog.  (I find “obscure” to be more flattering than say, “ignored” or “disliked” or “unnoticed.”)

Family still fits on couch before mashed potatoes are served.

The full Oxenreiter crew.
Yes, I'm serious.


2 comments:

  1. Great looking group. Auntie M's Indian sweatshirt is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best was when we went on a walk and she asked if she had to change in case it offended people. Apparently this could-be-offensive look is a longtime Thanksgiving classic.

    ReplyDelete