Thursday, March 6, 2014

Here is the Very Little I Have to Say About Me & Sports

One million years ago, I used to play tennis. 

Wait, that sounds more official and sporty than it really was. 

One million years ago I bought a tennis racket from Target and sometimes used to hit balls around.  I even took tennis lessons with friends so we could all play Doubles Troubles.  We never really progressed beyond being really excited if our serves miraculously landed in the right box on the other side of the court, but it was fun.

I was reminded of these fun, sweaty evenings after work while reading The Tennis Partner by by Abraham Verghese.  (Same author who wrote the much more awesome Epic Novel Cutting for Stone.)  My personal tennis experience contains a lot less drug addiction, but it was fun to think to be reminded of how much fun tennis is, and that I need to make a point to play sometime in the next ten years if possible.

I like Verghese’s writing style and would read pretty much anything he wrote besides the probably many actual medical journal-type things he has written.  I’d rather read about tennis and shooting up cocaine.  (Which as a mom I now feel compelled to point out sounds like a very bad idea.)


Quick recap:  do play tennis, do read The Tennis Partner, do not do cocaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment