Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Blogger Already a Better Parent Than at Least One Other Person


On Friday, I rode on a plane for the first time in 6 months.  6 months.  I haven’t gone 6 months without taking a flight since I was 18.  The break was good.  So good, that I forgot you have to take your shoes off at security.  A TSA agent had to remind me.  I resisted the temptation to yell to everyone in line “I knew that!  I just had a baby!  I need to lose another 5 pounds!  I bought a one-piece bathing suit!!!” but luckily kept it together.

All this to say, I finished Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah on the plane.  This book was so, so sad.  (yes!)  First off, who doesn’t want a daughter?  Son, maybe, but daughter?  Girls are the absolute best.  I am currently raising one and let me tell you – girls are the way to go.  Don’t get me wrong, I know some sweet boys, but do they wear smocked dresses?  No.

This memoir made me mad because I wanted Adeline to stand up to her parents rather than constantly looking for their approval.  I know it is a cultural thing, but I will never understand how anyone can be so emotionally abused and still go back for more.  But I loved the way the story was told, and was impressed by all this poor girl achieved despite horrendous parenting.  And not I-Took-My-Infant-To-Greekfest-At-9pm type bad parenting.  But like, Hey-Go-Live-In-An-Orphanage-See-You-In-A-Few-Years type bad parenting.

I think I can beat that.


Smocked outfits are critical for raising smart, balanced young women.
Also, damn cute.

Yes, I seriously made this.

No comments:

Post a Comment