Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Previously Fun Pregnant Woman Lashes Out at Fun-Loving Drunks


Hello.  I am alive, but just barely.  I am enormously pregnant, slammed at work, and taking down ½ gallon of egg nog / week.  My life is as full as my belly. 

Enormous Pregnant Woman
is larger than decent sized Christmas tree.
Is quick to blame seasonal beverage.
Even with the crazy life in the fast lane I just described, I maintain my bookworminess, thanks to Friend and Maybe Blog Reader, Aaron.  Aaron is a Big Deal, but still finds time to support a Bookworm in Need.  He wanted me to read The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer so badly that he bought me a copy to put on my To Read pile.  That is a pretty bold recommendation, and an idea worth emulating, loyal fans.

I can see how this was a guy’s book.  Aaron is smart, and a writer, so I can see how it’s a book for that kind of person too.  For me, the way this guy idolized this bar and its various loser patrons was kind of an eye roll.  I mean he went on and on and on about these drunks, who we are supposed to think are deep characters just because they are well-read.  I can personally attest that being well-read doesn’t make you smart or worthy of admiration.  Being able to quote Faulkner matters little when you drink til 3am, sleep away every day and have a severe gambling problem.  And this is from someone who loves both drinking and reading (but not gambling).  Maybe my 9 months of sobriety has made me bitter.

Either way, I appreciated the gesture of receiving this book and it was definitely well-written.   I liked parts of it, but would trim out about 100 pages so that the reader can get back to their bar of choice.

FYI & You're Welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment