Monday, November 11, 2013

Get Ready for the Most Boring Announcement Ever


Announcement:  I am getting back into audiobooks from the library.  They are the perfect accompaniment to nighttime motherhood & head housekeeper chores after the little one goes to sleep when all I really want to do is curl up with a book and relax my brain.

So what better to do that with than a book about the history of research on human cells?  That’s right fellow nerds, I just read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skoot.  If I had really known what this book was about, I would not have listened to it.  But it was available from the library, got a great rating on Goodreads and won lots of awards, so I quickly downloaded it so I could get going on the dishes.

There were points when I wasn’t sure I would finish this book.   It’s a true story of an African American woman whose cells have been reproducing in labs since the 50s and have led to all kinds of advances in modern medicine.  Her family was unaware her cells were still living for many years and in sad irony grew up too poor to afford health insurance. 

Skoot gives an extremely thorough rundown of this topic, in a way that even someone who spent most of high school Biology passing notes to friends could understand.   However I don’t have a ton of interest in scientific research (which makes me feel pretty dumb when I admit that.  But it’s true.) 

The human interest part of the story – about Henrietta Lacks’ life and that of her descendants I found really interesting.  And the audiobook narrator was really good.  So, I stuck it out, cooked lots of organic veggies for my girl and have just the slightest bit of  snooty pride about the whole thing. (Both the book and the organic veggies.) 

Don’t worry, Jane will put me back in my place by feeding organic veggies to World’s Most Available Dog During Mealtime, Norman.

Yes, I made a post about human cell research about
my cute kid eating vegetables.
It's a gift, people!
Someone is on a mission to get chubby.
It's working.

No comments:

Post a Comment